Monday 4 February 2013

It's not like it's Plato's Olive Tree!

View from the dining room
There is this olive tree on my property that I've been threatening to cut down.

It stands right outside my dining room picture window.  I've said repeatedly to whomever would listen that it obstructs my view of the mountain and the yard that my boys will eventually play.  The only person on my side is Theo Yianni.

Τραβήξτε το από τις ρίζες του με το τρακτέρ που έχετε εδώ τώρα, έτσι ώστε δεν θα φυτρώσει ξανά. "Remove it by its roots," exclaims Theo Yianni,  "with the tractor that you have here now so that it won't shoot up again".  At first Peter Boufeas was horrified at the idea of cutting it down and shocked that I would even suggest it.  But now he just rolls his eyes and smiles every time I suggest such a thing.  Olive trees are like that.  They can get injured and look like they are near death, yet miraculously sprout new shoots and will even bear an olive or two in a short time.  They are like the mythical phoenix, they rise from the ashes. (yes, its very dramatic, lol)

Even with Boufeas' indignation, I found the opportunity recently to express my concern about the olive tree and its unfortunate spot on the property, with the foreman, Dimitri. 

He is a slender man, middle aged, with a bushy moustache and a solemn look.  Seems to me that he hadn't smiled in a while and who can blame him considering the current economic crisis he finds himself and his country in.  And it was yet another rainy, moody day on the mountain when Boufeas first introduced me to the foreman Dimitri, which didn't do much for anyone's disposition. 

Coffered ceiling sample
I began to ask him about the very decadent lux coffered ceiling that I'm considering having installed and of which he himself had done the sample.  His answers were short, to the point and unemotional.  Hmm.  I told him that I liked his mill work and that indeed it will add fine architectural details to the interior.  He nodded, thoughtfully.  Hmm.  I moved to the dining room picture window  and commented on how foreboding the mountain looked today, especially knowing that it was once an active volcano.  The foreman Dimirti, spins on his heel and looks at me with a raised eyebrow. 

He seemed pleasantly surprised with my knowledge of his town, little does he know that I excel at Trivial Pursuit, lol.  Quite satisfied with my ability to finally break the ice with the foreman, we actually chatted about the dormant volcano and our mutual affection for the Taygetos Mountain.  But it wasn't until I turned once again to the window and proclaimed, half jokingly, that I will indeed cut down this dreadful olive tree, that I got the most visceral of reactions!  

All I hear are gasps from the men that have accompanied me.  George Giannopoulos, mutters, "Apokliete", (No Way),  the Architect Dimitri, turns to Boufeas and quizzes with disgust, "what is she going to cut down?" Boufeas just breathes out and says, "here she goes again" and runs a hand across his forehead in exasperation.  A look of horror washes over the face of  the foreman Dimitri and challenges me rather aggressively, "You will do no such thing!" 

Plato's Olive Tree now lives in Verga, Kalamata
I proceed to tell the foreman the reasons for my disdain for this particular tree, but he begins to offer alternatives like, pruning it to make it less imposing.  Perhaps we can build a small rock wall around it as to encourage people to sit underneath it for shade, was another.  I could not be swayed.  I drove the point further by suggesting, with a chuckle,  that I will need firewood for my three fireplaces and this tree would be a good place to start.

"Look", the foreman pressed, "its one of the oldest trees you have on the property and it has the most olives on it too!  What does that say to you?  Doesn't that mean anything to you?  To cut an olive tree down is blasphemy."

Blasphemy.  How do you respond to a person who has just described the cutting of an olive tree as blasphemy?  I take a moment.  It's quiet as I contemplate the future of the tree and turn to the foreman and say with a great big smile, "Fcku, it's not like it's Plato's Olive Tree!"  Γαμώτο, δεν είναι ελιά του Πλάτωνα!

Hearty laughter echoed through my cavernous house.  The foreman Dimitri especially impressed and amused by my reference, responds with great joviality, "You never know, it could be!  It very well could be, Tzaki!"

Actually, no it really could not.  I've actually seen Plato's Olive Tree and it's not in Verga.  And the craziest part about me making that comment was that two months later, on Thursday January 17, 2013, the real Plato's Olive Tree was cut down...for firewood!  And part of me went with it.  Have you ever been on a pilgrimage? I have.

I was 14 years old when I caught partway through, an obscure BBC documentary with a very passionate white haired bearded man, talking about an unlikely landmark in the middle of a busy thoroughfare.  As he was dodging traffic, with horns blaring, he managed to cross the road and convey that he indeed is standing next to, wait for it....Plato's Olive Tree.  "Behold", he said, with a twinkle in his eye.

I was memorised.  What is this?  Where is he?  "I'm going", I said to myself and nothing was going to stop me.

I was 15 years old when I stood in the presence of this unremarkable and rather ordinary olive tree. What made it interesting to look at though wasn't just that it was thought to be more than 3,000 years old,  but that it had been nurtured back to life after being hit by a bus in 1976.  Which almost happened to me trying to find it!  At the time, its gnarled trunk had split into four pieces. From what I understand, the largest of these was taken to the Agricultural University of Athens, where it has been on display ever since.

Legend has it that the tree was part of the alleys that surrounded Plato’s Academy, and it was among the twelve olive trees that marked the twelve gated entries to the property. This part of Athens was later, and still is, named ‘Eleonas’ (olive grove) because of those ancient olive trees.  The Iera Odos (Sacred Way) lies on the ancient route between Athens and the town of Elefsina (Eleusis). The remains of Plato’s Academy lie near the tree, giving the area the name Akadimia Platonos.

Where the original Plato's Olive Tree once stood
And now nothing remains there, except for a big hole.  Local media reported that it was very likely uprooted and stolen to serve as firewood.  Hmm.  Fuel costs have sky rocketed and due to austerity measures the majority refuse to pay the increase and have resorted to heating their home with a wood-burning fireplace or stove.  It was calculated that the stolen part of the tree weighed more than 1,000 pounds, nevertheless it was removed without anyone taking notice.  Imagine that.

And it truly boggles my mind that Greeks would do such a thing, especially considering how revered and sacred the average, non-school of Athens, olive trees actually are to the majority of Greeks...and I do mean majority, not just my small cross section of natives!

I cried when I read the news report that the olive tree under which Plato is believed to have taught his students 2,400 years ago, is now gone.  And I bet I know someone else who cried too.  It is blasphemy, Dimitri the foreman was right. 

How can I ever even consider harming my "Plato's" olive tree?  That's its rightful name now.  I won't ever cut my olive tree down now, I could never ever! Αποκλειεται! Apokliete! 

My Olive Grove, all trees intact and lovingly maintained!



.


 

7 comments:

  1. Wise decision! I expressed my feelings on that too.You never never cut an olive tree unless it is absolutely unavoidable to do so.Olive trees have the touch of God, any god, ancient or temporary.
    P.S. I m not sure that it was the "Plato's olive tree" that was cut. Media said so in the beginning but afterwards the correction came that it was another old olive tree cut dowm by a poor Pakistan for heat. By the way, you are the only greek person that i know who was so emotional about that tree. It's because you live abroad. People here have become cynical in many ways. For example when the museum in ancient Olympia was robbed last summer many of us shrugged in a way like "our lives and future is being robbed right now, who cares about the glorious past..."
    The saddest sign of decline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg you guys are so friggin dramatic its a bloody tree are there not a dozen there
    not wonder your future is so bleak ...get some perspective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well perspective uh... let us see what kind of perspective shoud we have these days if we completely loose our respect to what is simple and essential in our lives here.Sorry, i' m not expecting you to understand, but yes we are overeacting about this tree maybe because it stands there for ages feeding many generations (they live for centuries) asking for the least of our care. This is Meditterenian and olive trees gave birth to many civilazations. Are we "friggin dramatic"? I enjoy this comment. After all, we are greeks and drama runs in our veins for ages....
    Jackie knows....

    ReplyDelete
  4. your country is drowning but hang on to that tree limb and of course all the drama that can be associated with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "drowning"??!! Come on.. who's being dramatic now? We are not drowning.. We are facing a serious financial crisis. It's not the worst times we've faced, considering even our recent history. Now let's leave ""drama" and keep a "metron" (difficult to translate exaclty, but it means to maintain yourself never exaggerate).
      The olive tree is a symbol. People need symbols and ideas in harsh times to get comfort and strengh. Wishing you people in your county will never need one.

      Delete
  5. "serious" financial crisis...lol Are you really that naive? Do you also believe in being just a little bit pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You' re right! I've chosen to be naive and simplify everything as soon as i rememberd my grandparents and parents stories about past crisis (like the German occupation during the World War 2, the civil conflict here immediatelly after the end of the war,or the 7 years of dictatoship 35 years ago).Comparing to those, we are not even in "a little bit prgnancy status". We are having a little delay in our period.
      Of course there is another little devil inside me (the one that reminds me my 4 years studies in European and Greek History in the university) who's drugging my mind to more complicated questions like: "What's happened every time the last centuries when Germany takes the leadership in Europe?" or "What's happened when the middle class in Europe is getting attacked" or "Who are these "markets" anyway who after dealing with the South Europe are now attacking The North? (meaning France and U.K). These very difficult questions for my poor mind and the fact that Europe generally has never been a "quiet continent" lead me to the "naive" answer of just facing a "great financial crisis" or "bankruptcy" if you prefer.For the moment at least..

      Delete